Mammut Albaron Jacket Video Review
Mammut Albaron Jacket – Video Review
Mammut describes this jacket as a “light and technical 3-layer GORE-TEX® top jacket for mountaineers, suitable for a wide range of applications”
My original albaron jacket was bought in fall of 2011, it was a medium size and bright blue. I used it for two full seasons for summer mountaineering, spring scrambling, winter and spring skiing both backcountry and downhill. After two full seasons of heavy use, one of the protective pads you see on the shoulders delaminated and mamutt was kind enough to send me a brand new replacement jacket (the one I used in this video review).
This new mammut jacket you see here is also a size Medium in Smoke / Basillic color. Looks like most of the design has been kept the same with the only visible difference being the shape of the shoulder pads – which means they addressed the small delamination problem I experienced.
Features and Benefits
- Technical and light weather protection jacket offering reliable protection in high alpine terrain – means keeps you dry and warm under most severe conditions.
- New hood design, can be adjusted vertically and horizontally, helmet-compatible – means the hood is large enough to be worn over a helmet and adjusts down when you are not wearing a helmet.
- 2 large front pockets with 2-way zips – means you can easily stash your hat, gloves, climbing skins, goggles or what not or stick your hands in there to keep them warm.
- Underarm ventilation with spray proof 2-way zip – means you can easily control the temperature under the jacket. For example open the zips when climbing or skiing up a mountain in warm weather.
- Drawcord hem, adjustable using one hand – means you can use your spare hand to hold your ski poles, climbing rope, hang onto the chairlift, your ice tools etc.
- Pre-shaped sleeves with Velcro cuffs – great for accommodating different styles of gloves fitting under or over the jacket sleeves.
- Spray proof YKK zippers – keep the water out.
Optimally suitable for
Classical Alpinism (or as we call it in north America – mountaineering), Backpacking, Expeditions
Mixed- and Ice climbing, Ski touring / Backcountry Skiing, Multi-pitch Rock-climbing, Via Ferrata, Mountain Hiking
I also use mine Albaron jacket for downhill skiing and even canoeing when it’s raining hard.
GORE-TEX® Pro Shell® 3-Layer
3-layer GORE-TEX® Pro Shell®material is extremely robust and yet very light. It is one of the quietest items in the product group, while still offering the same functionality.
Colour: smoke-basilic (available in 3 other colors)
Weight: 440 g or 15.5 oz
Available Sizing: S, M, L, XL and XXL
Recommended retail price: $ 579.00
- Very Light and functional, Large easy to access front pockets, precise fit without extra bulk.
- Nice hood – simple and functional without extra flaps, collars and widgets, large enough to fit a helmet.
- Sticky shoulders are great for keeping the backpack straps from sliding and protecting the jacket from wear.
- Looks great and comes in 4 color options and five sizes.
- Nothing I can think of other than price. At over $500 retail, it’s definitely not cheap but you are getting a Gortex Pro Shell with Mammut’s quality and Swiss design.
- A little hard to find for USA and Canadian consumers.
Where to buy Mammut Albaron Jacket
Latest posts by Mike (see all)
- Where to buy GoPro HERO4 Session - July 17, 2015
- Enter to win one of two Fitbit Charge HR Activity Wristbands - July 6, 2015
- Enter to Win Osprey Syncro Hydration Pack - May 5, 2015